Here are the most common Dirty (12) Dozen:
- Fingers/Fingernails- Our hands and fingers contact all kinds off bugs during the day. We wash our hands (hopefully), but generally miss thoroughly cleaning under our fingernails. We then bite our fingernails……..
- Cigars, Cigarettes, Pipes- These items make the list for their direct danger to our general and oral health. Tar, nicotine, carbon monoxide etc are the leading causes of oral cancer.
- Cans of Soda- Just imagine all of the people who have touched that can before you, and all the filthy places the cans may have been in. Wipe it before placing you lips on it!
- Pencils & Pens- From our childhoods, many of us put these in our mouths. But how many times have they fallen on the floor, been handled by someone else, put in someone else’s mouth….. Wipe them down first.
- Kissing- The bugs that cause sicknesses, decay, periodontal disease etc. are transferable. We will not stop this practice, but at least don’t kiss those who are sick, or who have obvious oral hygiene problems
- Birthday Cakes, Double Dipping – that second dip introduces the person’s bacteria into the whole bowl of food. Blowing out the candles on a cake is like spitting on the cake!
- Water Bottles – It is important to keep hydrated in hot weather by drinking a lot of water. But…by drinking out of plastic water bottles, we expose ourselves to bactgeria ( E. Coli). These bugs tend to stick to the inside of the bottles. Its better to use a wide mouth bottle, and clean it thoroughly.
- Toothbrushes- It has been discovered that toilet flushing spews bacteria into the air and onto toothbrushes. So keep them away from the toilet or in a cabinet.
- Bar-Snacks- Many hands dip into these bowls, and many people have made trips to the bathroom at bars, and we can’t guarantee that they have washed their hands. Unless you are the 1st to grab a handful out of a fresh bowl, don’t!
- Sharing Chapsticks or Lipsticks- It can be with friends, or in a cosmetic store. The buildup of bacteria and viruses can be tremendous. Herpes viruses and all kinds of bugs can be picked up here. Put the samples of lipstick on the back of your hand to see the color.
- Eating Dropped Food on the Floor- No matter how fast you pick up the food, the floor is just about the dirtiest place anywhere, so the food is covered with ???
- Opening Packets of Food with Our Teeth- Packets of ketchup, bags of chips etc. have all been handled by numerous unknown people. We then put these bug-laden items in our mouths to open with our teeth….ugh!
Conclusion Dr. Marks points out that we don’t normally think about what we put in out mouths. Think about anything you put close to your mouth, and you will be healthier for it. If you have any questions about your oral health, need a second opinion, or need your teeth cleaned, please CONTACT US.