It is NOT good to be used as a mouthwash, claims Danbury CT dentist Jay M. Marks, DMD. It contains alcohol, which dries out the tissues of the mouth and gums. It kills bad, as well as good bacteria. Those who use it regularly, will see white patches in the mouth, which is our body’s reaction to the overuse of this alcohol containing solution.
HOWEVER, there are many good uses for Listerine, which can save you money, and not irritate your mouth by regular use. Some uses are:
- · Toothbrush cleaning
- · Gargling for sore throats
- · Antiseptic for wounds
- · Dandruff treatament
- · Foot odor & athlete’s foot
- · Bug bite itching
- · Psoriasis and skin conditions
- · Reactions to poison sumac, ivy, and oak.
- · Shingles symptoms
- · Fungus of nails
- · Jock itch
- · Eliminate odors in the sink and garbage disposals
- · Mildew and mold elimination
- · Toilet deodorizer
- · Bathroom fixture cleaner
- · Laundry germ cleaner & helps washing machine smell good
- · Cast iron pans cleaner
You probably never thought of these money saving uses of Listerine, and there are probably many more- do you have any further uses to share? Just don’t use it on a regular basis in your mouth. If you have any conditions in your mouth’s gums or tissues, that concern you- please CONTACT US.