We are all human, and have emotions, states Jay M. Marks, DMD. There may be times that everyday situations can affect our moods. Some examples might be if you hear a noise in your car, and you think it’s your wiper blades, and you walk out of the repair shop with a new engine! Or, they announce you have won the lottery and can retire, you hire an attorney, but then they say they announced the wrong number! Or, your dentist looks at your x rays, and says that your gum – periodontal disease is cured, and all your cavities have disappeared. Then the hygienist comes in with your x rays, and takes back the other ones from the previous patient. WHAT does this have to do with food????…………………….
The above incidents have caused you to go from great happiness to DEPRESSION. But Dr. Marks points out that there are some surprise foods that can rectify your mood, (if not the lottery). Examples are:
- Swiss Chard contains Magnesium, which is known to lower depression, and affects the brain in a way increase your level of energy.
- Mussels contain iodine, selenium, and zinc, which keep your thyroid in tip top shape, which regulates your mood.
- Blue Potatoes get the color from the powerful antioxidant called anthocyanin. It helps short term memory and reduces inflammation, which affects your mood.
- Grass-Fed Beef animals that have grown up chomping on grass have high levels of CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid), a fat that makes you happy by fighting stress causing hormones.
- Dark Chocolate is not only good for giving you a fuzzy warm feeling, but the Cocoa in DARK chocolate increases blood flowing to the brain and greatly boosts your mood.
- Asparagus Not sure if Popeye ate this with his spinach, but it is one of the best sources of tryptophan, which helps produce Serotonin- the main brain regulator for mood elevating neurotransmitters. It also contains Folate, which counteracts depression.
- Honey unlike regular sugar, has kaempferol & quercetin, which reduces brain inflammation and depression.
- Cherry Tomatoes contain Lycopene, the antioxidant fights brain inflammation and depression. It’s mainly in the skin. Olive oil helps in its absorption. If grown organically, they have more of the antioxidant.
- Eggs have a bunch of mood increasing stuff, such as zinc, Vitamin B, omega 3 fatty acids, & iodide. You will feel energized and full for a long time after eating such a healthy breakfast. Finish-->